Update and changes

I have finished an update for the pet en l’air, so do go check out how that’s coming along.  I ought to have the first installments of the next garment, a quilted petticoat, up within a day or two.

As for changes, I think there may be several.  The first and most important is that I have definitely decided to alter the scope of time and garments of the project slightly.  I the time period is now changed to 1750-70 (from 1750-75).  Here’s the reason why:

The intent of the time period in the first place is to show contiguous styles that may have been present in a woman’s wardrobe throughout it.  Between observations at the Museum of London, elsewhere, and in several written sources, I realized (which maybe I should have beforehand), that styles began changing right around 1770 too much for anything later to be included.  For example, no woman of c.1760 would have had a caraco, that appears to be an innovation of the late 1770s (if anyone has info contrary to this, I would LOVE to hear it I really wanted to make this ensemble!)

In light of this I have decided to remove the polonnaise dress and caraco jacket + matching petticoat ensemble from the list of stuff to make.  However, this leaves me with 7yds of a historic print cotton that I otherwise don’t know what to do with, so I am hoping to make a more period appropriate jacket and petticoat ensemble from it (I really wanted cotton represented in this project).  I will update you when I’ve found an appropriate design/pattern.

I will make changes to the project outline stuff (currently under the heading of Exhibition Proposal), which I was intending to try and break down into more palatable bites anyway.

I have also been debating where to include my personal impressions and questions that arise as a result of this experience.  I wonder, should I make a separate section for these, or incorporate them into the journal pages for the garments themselves?  What do you think?

Advertisements

2 Comments »

  1. Julia Said:

    You can still use the cotton:
    http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/luceneweb/bailey/results.jsp?words=cotton+AND+gown&format=and&type=&range=bhga&year=
    shows that cotton gowns were valuable goods!

    Then again, Bissonette on Costume suggests a 1740s date for a caraco, and there are several gowns that are shown draped like a polonaise pre-1770s on the website:
    http://dept.kent.edu/museum/costume/bonc/3timesearch/tseighteenth/1700-1799.html
    Whether the dates are correct, however, is up to you to decide.

    The National Trust apparently owns a 1760s polonaise:
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-events/w-events-exhibitions/w-events-exhibitions-event9.htm

  2. Kate Said:

    I really have no comments to add to your project (now that you’ve moved from historical research into the practical side, I have absolutely no knowledge/expertise…).

    I would just like to say that yous got mad skillz. For serious.


{ RSS feed for comments on this post} · { TrackBack URI }

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: